News Release

Too good to believe?

January 12, 2021

January 12, 2021

Too good to believe?

"Are you still drinking that fancy coffee?"
"What? What are you, obsessed?"
"(hand out a memo on coffee) Read it"


Have you seen this film before?
Yes, the above conversation is quoted from 2008 film "The Bucket List" starring Jack Nicolson and Morgan Freeman. The two old men who has been declared for 6 months of remaining life sets off to complete the list of things they want to experience before the long departure. One of the items on the list was to "laugh until cry", and this goal was achieved when one of the gentlemen found out that the coffee which he loved to drink was collected from stools of Luwak (Indonesian word for civet) ? Copi Luwak.

This is how the coffee is explained in the film.
"Copi Luwak is the world's most expensive coffee. Though for some, it falls under the category of 'too good to be true.' In the Sumatran village where the beans are grown, lives a breed of wild tree cat (Luwak). These cats eat the beans, digest them and then, defecate. The villagers then collect and process the stools. It is the combination of the beans and the gastric juices of the tree cat that give Kopi Luwak its unique flavor and aroma."


Would you also find it too good to believe?
Or you may be shocked to know that the Copi Luwak is corrected from poo (sorry) of an animal?

Please feel at ease. Before your coffee is brewed, it will go through thorough cleaning processes.
Actually, this is common for all the agricultural products. Every agricultural product is the result of nature's process, and more or less affected by the environment. Not all of the products are clean and intact. Usually some of the portion are damaged and not suitable for human consumption, thus needs some cleaning and careful selecting before consumption. For example, some beans may be damaged by insects or fungus. The foreign materials such as stones and sticks can mix into the product.
Formally, these cleaning process has been carefully done by human eyes and hands. However, in modern coffee producers, much are mechanized and automated nowadays. Optical sensors are evaluating the surface conditions of the grains, and compressed airs are removing those grains that have undesirable qualities.
Although the works of experienced and skillful human workers still provides reliable outcome, such technologies helps to lift the burden of labors, and add consistency to the coffee production.


Optical sorter for coffee, Satake FMS2000 series
To find out more, please click this link to Satake website.

Satake is also providing these technologies in Indonesia, through its branch office located in Surabaya.
The Copi Luwak is well known for its high quality, price (expensive!) and its unique features. However, besides of this Copi Luwak, Indonesia is well known coffee producer in the world. It also grows other signature varieties such as Toraja, Mandeline etc. Indonesia is the 3rd largest producer in 2018 after Brazil and Vietnam, producing 720,000 tons. Among this huge production, about 90% are the Robusta variety which is used for blending purpose, instant coffee etc. The remaining 10% are the Arabica varieties which usually has high aroma.

Satake is manufacturing machines such as optical sorters, mechanical cleaners, destoners (removing stones from coffee), and other related equipment for coffee processing. We are proud that our works are helping to improve the quality of Indonesian coffee, so more and more people can enjoy this amazing gift from the nature.